West Holllywood rally renews calls for Casey Wasserman to step down
Standing at West Hollywood Park around noon Tuesday, local elected officials, survivor advocates and attorneys renewed calls for Casey Wasserman to step down as chair of the LA28 Olympic organizing committee, arguing that his continued leadership threatens public trust ahead of the 2028 Games.
Roughly a dozen people attended the news conference, including two West Hollywood City Councilmembers, representatives from survivor advocacy groups, attorneys and law professors. Organizers said no Jeffrey Epstein survivors were present, though multiple speakers identified themselves as survivors of sexual violence.
“It’s critical at this moment, when we think about LA28, and welcoming not only athletes but world leaders to Los Angeles, about who is leading that effort— and that is not Casey Wasserman,” said West Hollywood Councilmember John Erickson.
He added: “Any ties to Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein, human traffickers, sex traffickers—these individuals do not deserve positions of leadership.”
Erickson said he and Councilmember Chelsea Lee Byers plan to introduce a resolution at next month’s West Hollywood City Council meeting calling on Wasserman to resign and denouncing LA28’s continued support of him. If adopted, the measure would make West Hollywood the first city in the nation to formally call for his removal.
LA28 did not respond to multiple requests for comments on Tuesday.
The renewed pressure comes a day after Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said in a CNN interview that Wasserman “should step down,” even as the LA28 Executive Committee of the Board last week reaffirmed its support for him following an independent review.
The scrutiny stems from Wasserman’s past interactions with Ghislaine Maxwell, who was convicted of sex trafficking in connection with Jeffrey Epstein. The review, commissioned by LA28, found no evidence of wrongdoing by Wasserman.
“We found Mr. Wasserman’s relationship with Epstein and Maxwell did not go beyond what has already been publicly documented,” the board said in a statement.
The board also said it takes allegations of misconduct seriously and is committed to thoroughly reviewing any concerns related to the organization’s leadership.
Still, critics say the controversy risks distracting from preparations for the Games and eroding public confidence in the organizing committee.
“It’s hard to trust what’s happening with the organization when they continue to spend their time and energy supporting somebody who people are calling for his resignation,” said Councilmember Lee Byers.
She said the City of West Hollywood has long positioned itself as a place that stands with survivors and prioritizes accountability.
“Plus, West Hollywood is going to be a site for activations throughout the Olympic Games in 2028,” Byers said. “So we understand how important making sure a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment is, and standing with survivors.”
She added that LA28’s continued support for Wasserman “is a real affront to the values that the city represents.”
Leslie Gaitan, who identified herself as a survivor of sexual harassment, said her experience reporting misconduct at her high school—and seeing no action taken—shaped her perspective.
“I was a victim with the wrong leadership in power,” she said.
Gaitan said she believes “anyone in a leadership role should have the cleanest record,” especially those overseeing youth and athletes. “They should be in the safest hands.”
Elle de los Reyes of Survivors.org said institutions play a critical role in shaping cultural norms around sexual violence.
“The only way we can change our culture is to have those with the power actually make decisions that hold them accountable,” she said.
Caroline Heldman, co-founder of Stand With Survivors, said the coalition wants the LA 28 board to know that leadership carries consequences.
“The Olympics are not a private playground for wealthy men and for the powerful. They are a civic trust that belongs to all of us,” she said. “LA28 cannot claim to stand for safety and dignity while being led by a man with documented ties to human traffickers Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.”
Wasserman has not been accused of any wrongdoing in connection with Epstein. Documents released by the Justice Department show he exchanged flirtatious emails with Maxwell in 2003, years before she was charged and later convicted for her role in Epstein’s sex-trafficking scheme.
In a statement to various media outlets, Wasserman said he “deeply regret[s]” the correspondence, which he said occurred more than two decades ago, and has denied having any personal or business relationship with Epstein. He has also said he plans to sell his sports marketing and talent agency amid the response to the controversy.
Mayor Bass said Monday that while she does not have authority over LA28 leadership decisions, she disagrees with the board’s decision.
Other elected officials who have previously called on Wasserman to step down include Los Angeles County Supervisors Lindsey Horvath and Janice Hahn, Los Angeles City Controller Kenneth Mejia, and Los Angeles City Council members Hugo Soto-Martinez, Monica Rodriguez and Imelda Padilla.
The calls come as LA28 continues preparations for the 2028 Games, with planning efforts underway across Los Angeles County and surrounding cities.