Help find baby Inganathi’s killer
The man suspected of killing 7-month-old Inganathi Mnani is still at large and authorities are appealing for help to catch him.
|||Cape Town - Community Safety MEC Dan Plato has expressed shock over the savage murder of 7-month-old infant, Inganathi Mnani.
He has called on the public to help find the Philippi baby’s killer.
Inganathi was brutally murdered in the early hours of Monday, allegedly by her mother’s boyfriend.
Police spokeswoman Nasiphi Same confirmed that Zukile Nakuphi is wanted by the Nyanga police in connection with Inganathi’s murder.
“Zukile (Nakuphi), who is not the father of the child, allegedly stepped on the baby and smashed her head against a wall and poles after he had an argument with the child’s mother.
“The baby succumbed to the injuries,” Same said.
Nakuphi was released from prison a week ago after serving a two-year sentence for shoplifting.
He fled the crime scene dressed in a navy and white shorts, a white vest and slippers.
On Wednesday, Plato expressed outrage over the incident.
“The savage murder of an innocent baby requires all of us to help in making sure the person responsible faces the authorities.”
Plato urged the community of Philippi to support the bereaved mother and family by providing any information about the whereabouts of the suspect to the police to ensure an arrest could be made.
“I condemn in the strongest possible terms the brutal murder of 7-month-old Inganathi Mnani.
“Those who harm the innocent in our communities, who show a total disregard for the safety of children in the province and who choose violence above all reason, should face the full might of the law.”
According to Plato, the Department of Social Development said it would support the family.
He promised that he, too, would be visiting the family to offer his condolences.
“I will in the next few days visit the family to pay my respects and will, as part of my oversight mandate over policing in the province, monitor the police’s progress on the investigation.”
The Inganathi’s mom’s aunt, Nosithembile Funani, told the Cape Argus the family was busy preparing for the funeral.
Inganathi’s mother, Andisiwe Mnani, was still very emotional, she said.
Funani said the baby’s funeral would be held on Tuesday.
“As part of our cultural customs, children are buried on a Tuesday or Thursday.
“Therefore we as a family think it’s best to bury her this Tuesday.”
She said the suspect has not reached out to the family, except for a call he made on Monday requesting that his 7-year-old daughter be taken to his home for “cleansing” - a ritual intended to rid someone of bad luck after experiencing trauma.
“He knows he has killed.
“It’s a horrid thing he did and now he wants his daughter cleansed.
“He is sick,” Funani told the Cape Argus on Wednesday.
The suspect’s family lives in the Eastern Cape, except for his brother who is in Cape Town.
Funani said: “We think he is still here because he won’t have money to travel to the Eastern Cape.”
Andisiwe Mnani had woken up to feed Inganathi at about 1am on the night of her murder.
The Cape Argus was told an earlier argument between Mnani and the suspect - over a phone call he had received earlier in the day, from another woman - had resumed.
The argument turned into a physical fight, causing little Inganathi to roll off the bed. It was then that the alleged brutal beating began.
The man also reportedly jumped on Inganathi during the attack after throwing her across the room.
The girl’s tiny body was smashed against the ceiling, the walls, and the pre-paid electricity meter, Funani told the Cape Argus.
Inganathi’s 7-year-old sister tried to protect her from the beating, as their mother watched helplessly, screaming hysterically for help.
zodidi.dano@inl.co.za
Cape Argus